ELSA Bristol is the Local Group of ELSA for students at the University of Bristol. It was founded in September 2017 and became an observer group of ELSA UK at the National Council Meeting in Exeter in November 2017. At the 18th National Council Meeting of ELSA UK in Stirling, ELSA Bristol was unanimously voted in as a full member. The group is affiliated with the Bristol SU: University of Bristol Students’ Union. ELSA Bristol hosted the 19th National Council Meeting of ELSA UK in October 2018.
- President – Evangelia Makridou (email@example.com)
- Secretary-General -Alicja Kwiatkowska (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Treasurer – Serena Elerman (email@example.com)
- Vice President for Marketing – Anastasia Vareltzi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vice President for Academic Activities – Christiana Argyrou (email@example.com)
- Vice President for Moot Court Competitions – Jana Stošić (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vice President for Seminars and Conferences – Colin O’Reilly (email@example.com)
- Vice President for STEP – Ruby Cheung (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Director for Internal Management – Ayisha Yoonus Vappattu
- Director for Marketing – Ash Suresh
- Directors for Academic Activities – Sophie Myatt and Joey Marshall
- Director for Moot Court Competitions – Hithesh Fernandopulle
- Director for Seminars and Conferences – Lauren Ball
Seminars & Conferences (S&C)
ELSA Bristol aims to organise events concerning areas of law or practice that add to our member’s knowledge and understanding of the law – especially outside of areas covered in the undergraduate course. This is in addition to hosting information evenings informing members of international opportunities such as ELSA Delegations, which we held a workshop about in November.
In the new year, we plan to host talks on European Competition Law, efforts to combat human trafficking in the wake of the refugee crisis, and arrange a panel discussion on the merits of the controversial new Copyright Directive.
Academic Activities (AA)
ELSA Debate Competition to celebrate ELSA Day: Wednesday, December 5 2018. Two rounds were held (one semi-final and one final round), whereby the contestants debated on topics relating to the right to education.
The topics debated were:
1. Should we abolish the private education system?
2. Should school be mandatory until the age of 18?
3. Should university be free for all students?
ENC National Negotiation Competition (semi-final and final rounds): Friday, February 22nd 2019. The ENC is a simulation of a negotiation process between two parties. For this purpose, two teams consisting of two law students and young lawyers each representing a client or a party negotiate a legal dispute. These simulations will be observed and evaluated by a panel of three judges who shall be legal practitioners allowing participants to obtain advanced skills in the field of negotiation.
Evening event on various aspects of Brexit (in collaboration with RFCF society): March 29th 2019. External speakers and EU lecturers talking about different aspects of Brexit and its implications.
Moot Court Competitions (MCC)
This year, ELSA Bristol is starting off the year by collaborating with the non-profit organisation IntoUniversity, which supports young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to apply to university and achieve their goals for the future. We will be holding a mooting workshop for students interested in public speaking or studying law in order to introduce them to mooting and what engaging with the law looks like. After this, we will be holding a moot competition specifically for these students to give them an exciting, inspiring and unique first mooting experience.
Within the university, we will be hosting a mooting workshop, followed by a (hopefully intervarsity) competition. We also plan to hold another workshop, more geared towards giving useful feedback – based on the competition – for the future, whilst also catering to those students who did not manage to participate in the mooting competition.
ELSA Bristol is currently entering a team into the ELSA London Human Rights Moot Court Competition.
Student Trainee Exchange Programme (STEP)
This year, ELSA Bristol has organised a STEP information workshop to promote and inform students about the student trainee exchange programme ELSA International offers. Students showed great interest and the event turnout was higher than expected.
Contact ELSA Bristol
Contact ELSA Bristol